Article is originally appeared at Presstv.ir
Fighters from Yemen’s Houthi Ansarullah movement together with members of the allied popular resistance committees have taken control of a Saudi military base in retaliation to Riyadh’s ongoing air campaign against their country.
Ansarullah fighters and forces of the popular committees recaptured the base in the al-Makhrouq region of the southwestern Saudi province of Najran during an operation late Monday.
Several military equipment and vehicles were destroyed in the operation.
Meanwhile, according to the Press TV correspondent in Yemen on Tuesday, the Yemeni tribesmen supported by the army have attacked the strategic King Khalid Air Base in southwestern Saudi Arabia near the city of Khamis Mushait.
The Yemeni army and the popular units have also scored major gains against al-Qaeda terrorists in the central Ma’rib Province. The Yemeni forces are also taking positions in region which will enable them to defeat the remnant of the Takfiri group in future.
The development comes as the Yemeni fighters and army allies on Monday attacked a Saudi military base near the border area of Tuwayliq in Sa’ada Province.
This is the latest in a series of attacks by Ansarullah as well as tribal forces against Saudi border positions over the past few weeks.
The Yemeni army, backed by popular committee forces, also on Monday destroyed four Saudi tanks after storming a base in Saudi Arabia’s southwestern city of Jizan.
A Yemeni boy stands amidst the rubble of houses destroyed by a Saudi airstrike on a residential area last month, in the capital Sana’a on May 18, 2015. (© AFP)
Yemenis say the attacks are in retaliation for Saudi airstrikes that have continued unabated for two months now.
Saudi warplanes continue pounding Yemen, targeting several areas across the impoverished Arab nation.
Meanwhile, at least nine people were killed in the early hours of Tuesday in a Saudi airstrike on the Jabal Sabir district of the southwestern province of Ta’izz.
On Monday, airstrikes hit the southern city of Aden as well as the provinces of Sa’ada and Hajjah.
According to the UN, since March, nearly 2,000 people have been killed and 7,330 injured due to the conflict in Yemen.
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) says the Saudi aggression against Yemen has claimed the lives of more than 130 children over the past two months.
“Since the conflict escalated in March, as many as 135 children have been killed and 260 injured,” the UNICEF said in a statement on Sunday.
The UN body said that one-third of the deaths occurred in Yemen’s southern coastal city of Aden that has been hit by violent clashes over the past few days.