Press secretary for the White House, Sean Spicer, accused media of false reporting about the number of Trump’s inauguration crowd.
On Saturday, during the first briefing of the new US administration, press secretary for the White House, Sean Spicer, accused media of false reporting about the number of Trump’s inauguration crowd, which, reportedly, was much smaller than that of Obama’s.
Spicer used up practically all the time of the briefing, speaking on this topic, and noted that “these attempts to lessen the enthusiasm of the inauguration are shameful and wrong.”
“This was the largest audience to ever witness an inauguration, period, both in person and around the world,” the press secretary said.
The statement was made despite photos of the event, which clearly showed that some sections of the Mall, in particular, an area near the Smithsonian Institution Building and the west part of the Washington Monument, were not full with people. There also was sparse attendance along the parade route from the Capitol to the White House. However, Spicer said that some of the photos were “intentionally framed in a way” to minimize the crowd, but, at the same time, he did not provide any examples or evidence of his claims.
— Jon Passantino (@passantino) January 21, 2017
The press secretary took no questions from reporters and could not say specifically how many people attended the inauguration, according to the White House. He just noted that three large sections of the Mall, each of which held at least 200,000 people were “full when the president took the oath of office.”
Earlier on Saturday, during his speech at CIA headquarters in Langley, Donald Trump said that from his point of view “it looked like a million, million and a half people. They showed a field where there were practically nobody standing there, and they said Donald Trump did not draw well.” The US President also noted that parts of the National Mall “all the way back to the Washington Monument” were “packed.”
— Fox News (@FoxNews) January 21, 2017