If there is something positive about the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, it’s that it contains the US willingness to invade other countries and launch new wars.
On March 25, Defense Secretary Mark Esper told Reuters that the Pentaon has issued a stop movement order to the U.S. military halting travel and movement abroad for up to 60 days in an effort to limit the spread of the COVID-19 through the ranks. The decision will affect all US forces around the world.
“The purpose is to make sure that we’re not bringing the virus back home, infecting others, that we’re not spreading it around the military,” Esper said.
According to the interview, the order applied to all U.S. troops, civilian personnel and families. However, there would be some exceptions.
For example, the exception to the order would be the drawdown under way in Afghanistan, which will continue. Under the deal with the Taliban signed last month, the US has to reduce the number of its troops in Afghanistan to 8,600 from 13,000 within 135 days.
If the deal is fully implemented, a full withdrawal of all U.S. and coalition forces would occur within 14 months of the deal getting signed.
The stop movement decision is a result of the Pentagon’s difficulties in containg the spread of COVID-19 within its forces. The virus has already infected at least 227 U.S. troops.
MORE ON THE TOPIC: