This article originally appeared at Sputniknews
Venezuela’s government is opening an investigation against CNN en Espanol (CNNE) over the news network’s allegedly false report on looting in the country, the CONATEL telecommunications regulator said in a statement.
Earlier on Friday, CNNE issued a statement recognizing its mistake and apologizing for what it said was an error in the text that appeared on screen while a report on food scarcity in the Venezuelan cities of Maracay and Valencia was running on the channel on Thursday.
Stores in Venezuela have been frequently looted amid food shortages sparked by an economic crisis in the country.
A series of protest against high levels of violence, record inflation and shortages of basic goods took place across Venezuela between February and June of last year. The Venezuelan government deemed the protests to be coup attempts and arrested a number of opposition leaders.
We strongly believe that CNNE haven’t to applogize for its “mistake”. Because, when you make a mistake, you try to not repeat it again. In CNNE’s case, this situation is impossible. Viva corporations! Viva CNN!