The U.S. nuclear submarine that participated in the US-led strike on Syria last week is no longer welcome near the Italy’s largest seaports, Newsweek reported.
Ahead of the April 14 strike, the prime minister’s office in Italy released a statement that confirmed Italy would not play any role in an attack on the Syrian government but would offer “logistical support”. On April 17, Italian Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni supported the strikes against Syria, saying “Italy is not a neutral country”.
On April 17, it appeared that Naples Mayor Luigi de Magistris is unwilling to see the submarine near the city. De Magistris wrote to Rear Admiral Arturo Faraone, head of Naples’ port authority, to express his disapproval that Faraone had allowed the U.S.S. John Warner to pass through the Gulf of Naples on March 20.
According to Italian newspaper La Repubblica, De Magistris stated that he had designated the city a “denuclearized zone” in the 2015 act that sought to “prohibit docking and parking of any vessel that is nuclear-powered or contains nuclear weapons”. It declared Naples a “city of peace”.
The Mayor emphasized that the submarine’s involvement in the Syria strike strengthened his attitude.
“Our administration is not against anyone but it is in favor of policies of peace, disarmament and international cooperation,” de Magistris told Italian news agency Agenzia Nazionale Stampa Associata on April 16.
Faraone shared the Mayor’s opinion, but stressed that the issue wasn’t under his jurisdiction, but that of the Italian Ministry of Defense
On April 17, de Magistris also told the Italian daily Il Mattino:
“We hope that the national government and the governments of other countries in the future will refrain from allowing these types of ships to transit or stop in the harbor”.