On February 1, an unnamed US official said that US President Donald Trump is prepared to order another military action against the Syrian Arab Army (SAA) to deter possible chemical attacks in the future, according to Reuters.
“We reserve the right to use military force to prevent or deter the use of chemical weapons,” the US official told reporters during a press briefing according to Reuters.
The US official also accused the SAA of developing new types of chemical weapons and claimed that the SAA has been using chemical weapons “in smaller amounts” since the Khan Shaykhun incident on April 4, 2017.
The official went on and accused the SAA of hiding a part of its chemical weapons stockpile, that was supposedly destroyed under the Russian-US deal in 2014. However, Reuters didn’t mention that the official presented no evidence to back his claims.
Another unnamed US official, went told reporters during the same press briefing that the supposed Syrian chemical weapons may reach the “US shores” if the US and the international community don’t increase their pressure on Syria’s President Bashar al-Assad.
The US warning looks similar to previous warnings, which had been repeatedly made by US officials regarding the supposed “Iraqi chemical weapons” before the 2003 US invasion of Iraq.
The US statements are aimed at pressuring the SAA and its allies as they are approaching the heartland of the Syrian rebels in Idlib governorate. Some experts believe that the US could even use a direct military force against the Syrian government once again claiming that this is just a response to some “barbaric chemical weapons attack” against “civilians”.