The Pentagon intends to dispatch 1,000 more US troops to northern Syria.
The US is going to dispatch 1,000 more servicemen to northern Syria, the AFP news agency reported on Wednesday, citing an unnamed Pentagon official. The news agency’s source noted that the provisional plans of the Pentagon have not been still approved by US President Donald Trump and Defense Secretary Jim Mattis.
“That’s one of the proposals that’s on the table for discussion,” the official said.
According to AFP, at the moment, there are between 800 and 900 soldiers of the US Special Forces in Syria. The Pentagon claims that they are engaged only in training and assisting to the Kurdish forces, fighting against the Islamic State (IS) and other terrorist groups on the country’s territory.
As the official noted, the decision on sending additional US troops to Syria depends on Trump, who has ordered Mattis to put together a viable proposal to resolve the ongoing crisis in the Arab country.
Last month, a top US commander for the Middle East, General Joseph Votel, said that intensification of the war against IS terrorists in Syria might need more US troops, deployed in the country.
Also last month, the CNN TV-channel reported that Trump might be persuaded by the Pentagon to authorize sending thousands of combat troops to Syria. “It’s possible that you may see conventional forces hit the ground in Syria for some period of time,” the TV-channel announced, citing a US defense official.
Meanwhile, last week, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said that US troops on the territory of Syria are “invaders,” as their presence had not been agreed with the country’s authorities. “Any foreign troops, coming to Syria without our invitation or consultation or permission, they are invaders, whether they are American, Turkish, or any other one,” the Syrian President told the Phoenix TV television channel.