The US-led coalition and its Syrian proxies repelled an attack of the Syrian Arab Army (SAA) on their positions inside the 55km “de-escalation” area around the US base at al-Tanaf in southeastern Syria, the Syrian Hammurabi’s Justice News blog reported on September 2.
According to the pro-opposition blog, which is well-known for its close ties with the US-led coalition and Free Syrian Army (FSA) commanders in al-Tanaf, the coalition used “non-lethal” measures to foil the supposed attack. As a result, no one was injured or killed during the engagement.
“The Maghawir aI-Thowra [US-backed group in al-Tanaf] and [the US-led] coalition have the right to protect themselves in the internationally recognized deconfliction zone near al-Tanf,” Hammurabi’s Justice News said in its report.
These claims have not been confirmed by any Syrian pro-government sources so far. However, some activists said that a unit of the SAA may has entered the 55km de-escalation area by mistake while conducting a patrol around it.