The assassination of Alexander Zakharchenko, the head of the Donetsk People’s Republic (DPR), was organized by the Ukrainian Special Operations Forces, the DPR head adviser Alexander Kazakov told the Russian state-run news agency Sputnik.
“We have already revealed the initiator — that is the Special Operations Forces. We are likely to name the head of the [assault] group and responsible officer of this structure in the near future,” Kazakov said.
According to Kazakov, several suspects have already been detained.
Meanwhile, a DPR military spokesman, Eduard Basurin, stated that the Ukrainian Armed Forces (UAF) may launch an offensive on the DPR on September 14.
“Our intelligence has revealed the deployment of a Ukrainian security forces’ combat group in the direction of Mariupol under the guise of Storm-2018 drills,” Basurin said adding that the information had been confirmed by data obtained from downed Ukrainian UAVs. “Our units are on high alert and are ready for any development, up to launching the counterattack in case of an enemy offensive.”