The remaining Ukrainian troops, Azov nationalists and foreign mercenaries in the key city of Mariupol have sustained heavy losses as a result of recent operations by the Russian military and the armed forces of the Donetsk People’s Republic (DPR).
As a result of these losses, between April 3 and 13 at least 1,600 Ukrainian fighters surrendered to Russian and DPR forces.
- Between April 3 and 4, 267 Ukrainian service members from 503rd Battalion of the 36th Marine Brigade surrendered at the district of Kalmiyusky.
- On April 5, at least 30 Ukrainian service members of the Armed Forces of Ukraine (AFU) surrendered at the district of Levoberezhny.
- Between April 11 and 12, 160 Ukrainian service members of the 36th Marine Brigade surrendered at Kalmiyuskiy, after taking part in a failed breakthrough attempt.
- On April 12, an additional 1,026 Ukrainian service members of the 36th Marine Brigade, including 162 officers, surrendered at Kalmiyuskiy.
- On April 13, a new batch of 134 Ukrainian service members of the 36th Marine Brigade, including 14 officers, surrendered at Kalmiyuskiy.
In the last few days, Russian and DPR forces made significant gains in Mariupol. These gains included the city’s port. The forces are currently cornering the remaining Ukrainian troops in the Azovstal steel plant.
More Ukrainian troops will likely surrender in the upcoming few days. However, the radical elements, including Azov nationalists and foreign mercenaries, may fight for longer.
According to the General Staff of the AFU, 2,543 AFU service members, 14 service members of the National Guard and 116 service members of the State Border Service of Ukraine are now listed as captives.
Once the battle of Mariupol city is over, the Russian military and the armed forces of the DPR and Luhansk People’s Republic will reportedly push with full force on several other fronts in the Donbass region. Ukrainian forces are already preparing for this.
- Ukrainian Helicopters Attacked Civilians In the Russian Bryansk Region (Photos, Video)
- Russian Ministry Of Defence: The Cruiser Moskva Damaged But Not Sunk