Saudi-backed Yemeni forces announced on January 16 that they had repelled a large-scale attack by the Houthis in the district of al-Durayhimi in the southern countryside of the coastal province of al-Hudaydah.
The Houthis reportedly attempted to capture a number of positions along the frontline. However, they faced with fierce resistance from Saudi-backed fighters.
The Giants Brigades played a key role in the battle which lasted for several hours. Heavy weapons were employed by both sides.
“The joint forces won the clashes and inflicted heavy losses on the militias [the Houthis], killing and injuring dozens of them and forcing those left to flee,” a military source told the media wing of the Giants Brigades.
The Giants Brigades, originally formed in the 1970s, is one of many Yemen groups fighting for the Saudi-led coalition. The group’s fighters are mostly Salafi tribesmen from Lahj and Abyan and natives of Dammaj in Saada province, who were expelled by the Houthis in early 2014,
The formation, which maintains 20,000 to 28,000 fighters, receives extensive support from the United Arab Emirates militarily and financially.
The Houthis’ attack on Saudi-led coalition proxies in al-Hudaydah reflects the tense situation in Yemen. Clashes and airstrikes were reported on several fronts in the last 24 hours.
- The Liaison and Coordination Officers’ Operations Room (loyal to Ansar Allah) reported 279 ceasefire violations in al-Hudaydah during the past 24 hours.
- On January 15, Saudi-led coalition warplanes conducted 2 airstrikes on Haradh area.
- On January 15, Saudi-led coalition warplanes conducted airstrikes on Sarwah area.
- On January 15, Ansar Allah reportedly repelled attacks of Saudi-led forces in the Jabal Murad district.
- On January 15, Mansour Hadi, the President of Saudi-backed government in Yemen, appointed Ahmad Obaid bin Daghar as speaker of the parliament.
The Yemeni peace process saw no progress during 2020. Recent reports revealed that aides of US President-elect Joe Biden are planning to mount serious pressure on Saudi Arabia to end the war in Yemen this year.
- Iran Deployed Advanced ‘Suicide Drones’ In Yemen – Report
- Desperate Attempts Of Trump Administration To Protect Its Foreign Policy Heritage