The U.S.-backed Revolutionary Commando Army claimed on September 11 that its units had repelled a surprise attack by the Syrian Arab Army (SAA) on the 55km zone surrounding the al-Tanaf base in southeastern Syria.
The group said in a statement that army units advanced inside the 55km zone taking advantage of a Red Cross visit to civilians in the area. The group claimed that its fighters repelled the supposed “attack.”
“The heroes of the Revolutionary Commando Army clashed with regime forces and pushed them out of the 55k DCZ [de-escalation zone]. the Revolutionary Commando Army have the full support of Coalition Forces and are ready to defend against and respond to any attack Within the DCZ,” the group’s statement read.
A Syrian military source, who is stationed around the 55km zone, denied these claims. The source told SouthFront that no clashes happened in the area.
The Revolutionary Commando Army has about 300 fighters in al-Tanaf. The Pentagon is still arming the group, despite multiple scandals. Earlier this year, the group’s spokesman was caught raping a 10-year old displaced girl.