The US is scrambling to find a new “home” for the troops its withdrawing from Afghanistan.
So far, it has had no success.
Uzbekistan has refused the Americans to place a base, but negotiations are continuing on the conditions for receiving “Afghans loyal to the American authorities.”
This relates to approximately three thousand Afghan citizens who collaborated with the American administration. And their families.
Uzbekistan claims that the Americans are ready to pay for the accommodation of every loyal Afghan.
The amount per person is rumored to be between $ 50,000 to $ 100,000. For this amount, the Uzbeks must place them in guarded residential towns, guarantee the safety and inviolability of their business.
The Taliban currently are working towards capturing sections of the Pakistan-Afghanistan border. Control over a section of the border with Pakistan is very important for the Taliban.
Now there is an opportunity to freely transport captured equipment to Pakistan, and new militants and instructors can arrive in Afghanistan.
Previously, when NATO was carrying out its operations, it was impossible. Now, however, Pakistan has a new trump card in its hands, which will be used in negotiations with the Afghan government.
The Afghan province of Badghis, bordering Turkmenistan, has completely come under the control of the Taliban. In the morning, the militants entered its administrative center – the city of Kalayi-Nau. A few hours earlier, government forces had evacuated personnel, administrators and local prisoners from the city.
Badghis became the first province entirely captured by the Taliban since the withdrawal of American troops from the country.
The U.S. military troop withdrawal from Afghanistan is more than 90% complete, U.S. Central Command announced on July 6th.
The news comes days after U.S. and international forces left Bagram Airfield, which has served for nearly two decades as the center of the U.S. fight to remove Taliban forces from power and take down al-Qaida terrorists responsible for killing thousands of Americans on September 11, 2001.
Pentagon press secretary John Kirby on defended the military’s recent pullout from Bagram, the execution of which had caused local Afghan commanders to express surprise at the departure and led to a security lapse that allowed looters onto the base.
irby confirmed that the U.S. military withheld from its Afghan allies the specific time it would complete a withdrawal, citing “operational security,” but said the departure “wasn’t done in some shroud of secrecy.”
The Associated Press reported Monday that Afghan military officials said U.S. forces had left the base overnight Friday without notifying the new Afghan commander.
“I can’t speak for how Afghan leadership briefed their people. What I can tell you is that there was coordination between General (Scott) Miller and his staff and senior Afghan military and civilian leaders about the turnover of Bagram. That I know. And that there was, even to the degree of there being a walkthrough,” Kirby said.
Currently, it seems that more than likely the pullout is moving towards
MORE ON THE TOPIC:
- Military Situation In Afghanistan On July 5, 2021 (Map Update)
- The Day After: U.S. Forces Left Radar Systems, Hundreds of Vehicles At Afghanistan’s Bagram Air Base (Photos)