The U.S.-led coalition and the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) carried out early on January 2 another counter-terrorism operation in the southeastern Deir Ezzor countryside.
Fighter jets, attack helicopters and armored vehicles participated in the joint operation, which targeted the area of al-Khababusah near the town of al-Shheell.
Local sources said that eight civilians, from two well-known families, were arrested during the operation. The suspects were identified as:
- Mohamad al-Mukhlif al-Halum;
- Ahmad Mohamad al-Mukhlif al-Halum;
- Hamoudi Mohamad al-Mukhlif al-Halum;
- Hamadah Mahmoud al-Mukhlif al-Halum;
- Mohamad Mahmoud al-Mukhlif al-Halum;
- Jasim Hassan al-Mukhlif al-Halum;
- Jasim Hassoun al-Abadish;
- Ayman Assaf al-Muhaysan al-Abadish.
Last month, the U.S.-led coalition and the SDF carried out a series of similar operations in southeast Deir Ezzor. Dozens of suspects, including former ISIS fighters, were arrested during these operations.
The U.S. is maintaining 500 service members in eastern Syria as a part of a plan to counter ISIS activities and “guard” key oil fields in the region.