As the situation with a possible US-led agression against the Syrian government under a pretext of the so-called Douma incident remains unclear, various media outlets and “experts” spread multiple rumors and unconfirmed reports fueling the crisis.
Here we go:
- The US has designated 22 top targets, including near the Russian naval facility in Tartus, to strike in Syria, according to a report by Turkish media outlet Yeni Safak, citing International Relations scholar Zakariye Molahafci. According to this version, military bases in Homs, Damascus, Tartus, Hama, Hasakah, Deir Ezzor and Raqqa are aming the targets.
- According to the New York Times, Washington is concerned that an attack of the same scale as the 2017 strike on Shayrat military airfield would prove ineffective at halting “the Assad regime”. So, officials suggest to expand the scale of “response” to the alleged chemical attack hitting few targets and extending a military effort to few days.
- According to some Syrian local media outlets (in Arabic), Turkey, Jordan and Iraq have alredy allowed the US-led coalition to use their aispace for strikes on Syria. So, the US-led coalition will be able to use its forces deployed not only in the Mediterranean region but and in the Persian Gulf and the Red Sea.
- Israel’s Channel 10 reported citing a senior government official that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had estimated that it was “very likely” the US would launch an attack on Syria during a security meeting on April 9.
- According to some “experts”, Russia has requested Iran to allow its strategic bombers and fighters at Hamedan airbase or some other miltiary airfiled, located relatively close to the Syrian battleground.
- According to media reports, Syrian forces have been put on “combat alert” over the possible US attack on the country. [This is highly likely] On the same time some sources speculate that Syrian troops remove Syrian flags from their facilities and HQ across the country, for example in al-Bukamal, and put Russian flags. [This is not likely]
Summing up the rumors and speculations, it’s clear that most of the media outlets have little reliable info about the current situation over Syria. So, they use various unreliable rumors anonymous sources as a tool to exploit the current crisis to expand their viwership.