The United States has officially confirmed that one of its bases in Syria’s northeastern region came under attack late on November 26.
In a statement released on November 27, the U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) said that two rockets targeted al-Shaddadi base, which is located within a large gas and oil field in the southern countryside of al-Hasakah. According to the command, the Syrian Democratic Forces visited the rocket launch site and found a third unfired rocket.
The al-Shaddadi is one of the U.S.-led coalition’s main patrol bases in northeastern Syria. Nearly a dozen attack and transport helicopters are usually deployed there.
The CENTCOM said in its statement that the attack didn’t result in any casualties or damage to the base or coalition property.
“Attacks of this kind place coalition forces and the civilian populace at risk and undermine the hard-earned stability and security of Syria and the region,” said Colonel Joe Buccino, CENTCOM spokesman.
While the CENTCOM refrained from making any accusation, several news sources, including the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, said that the rocket attack on al-Shaddadi base was carried out by Iranian-backed forces.
The attack came exactly a week after a series of Israeli strikes that targeted military positions in Syria’s western and central regions. Four Syrian service members were killed in the strike.
This was the second confirmed attack on a U.S. base in Syria this month. Several rockets struck the Green Village base in the in the country’s northeastern region on November 17. The attack took place four days after a wave of Israeli strikes that killed two service members at Shayrat Air Base in central Syria.
The recent attacks on U.S. bases in northeastern Syria were likely a response by Iranian-backed forces to Israel’s repeated strikes on the country. So far, the U.S. has refrained from responding to these attacks.