On November 29, U.S. Special Representative for Iran, Brian Hook, said that Iran boosted its ballistic missile program in the last few years and tested a new missile that’s capable of reaching some European capitals in January of 2017.
“The regime’s pace of missile launches did not diminish after implementation of the Iran nuclear deal in January of 2016. Iran has conducted numerous ballistic missile launches and space launches since this time as it continues to prioritize missile development as a tool of revolution,” Hook said during a press conference.
The new missile, which Hook referred to, is Khorramshahr that has a range between 1,000 and 2,000 km. While Hook attempted to promote what he said as new information, Iran officially presented Khorramshahr missile to the public and announced its test a year ago.
Hook went on to claim that Iran is “the largest ballistic missile force” in the Middle East. According to the U.S. diplomat claims, the Islamic republic has more than 10 ballistic missile systems either in its inventory or under development currently.
“Any environment where Iran is able to operate freely can become a forward-deployed missile base for such systems and for many other kinds of weapons that you see here today. This threatens Israel and other partners, especially Saudi Arabia and the UAE,” Hood added.
Hook’s claims are likely an attempt by Washington to pressure its allies in the European Union, who refused to follow its footsteps and pull out of the nuclear deal with Iran. Earlier this month, the U.S. made a similar attempt and accused Iran of “hiding chemical weapons” without providing any evidence.