On September 5, the U.N. announced that the armed factions fighting in the Libyan capital of Tripoli have reached a ceasefire agreement after more than a week of clashes inside and around the strategic city.
“A ceasefire agreement was reached + signed today to end all hostilities, protect civilians, safeguard public and private property,” the U.N. Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) said in an official statement, according to the Reuters news agency.
Under the ceasefire agreement, all the armed groups will halt any further hostile actions. Furthermore, the Mitiga international airport as well as all roads in and out of Tripoli will be reopened.
According to Reuters, a spokesman for the Tarhona 7th Brigade, which led the attack on Tripoli armed groups last week, said that his group accepted the U.N. ceasefire. However, some armed groups have not commented on the UNSMIL statement so far.
The Ministry of Health of Libya said that 63 people were killed and 159 others were injured as a result of the brutal clashes, which erupted on August 27. Financial problems and the poor management of the Libyan Government of National Accord (LGNA) were reportedly the main reasons behind the clashes.