A new artillery strike targeted a Turkish observation post located near the town of Shir Mughar in northwestern Hama on June 27.
Syrian opposition sources said that the shelling took place as a convoy of reinforcements was preparing to depart the post on its way back to Turkey.
“The artillery shelling on the post and its surroundings is still ongoing,” a reporter of Enab Baladi, a pro-opposition outlet, said.
Shir Mughar’s post is one of twelve similar observation positions established by the Turkish military around Syria’s Idlib last year under an agreement with Russia and Iran.
This was the fifth such attack on Shir Mughar’s post in the last two months. Turkey held the Syrian Arab Army (SAA) responsible for the most recent attack, which occurred on June 16, and responded by shelling several Syrian military positions in northern Hama.
Opposition activists are claiming that the SAA was also responsible for the new attack. However, Turkey has not confirmed these claims yet. Ankara’s Ministry of National Defense is apparently ignoring the incident, which usually means that the shelling didn’t cause losses.