0 $
2,500 $
5,000 $
1,787 $
APRIL 2021

Turkish Forces Evacuate Three Posts In Western Aleppo, Militants Talk About ‘Redeployment’

Support SouthFront

Turkish Forces Evacuate Three Posts In Western Aleppo, Militants Talk About ‘Redeployment’

Turkish army vehicles and military personnel are seen near the Turkish-Syrian border on October 12, 2019. IMAGE: Reuters / Murad Sezer

The Turkish Armed Forces have evacuated three posts in the militant-held part of the western Aleppo countryside, Syrian pro-government and opposition sources reported on March 10.

The posts in question were located in the towns of Batabo, Kafr Nasih and between the villages of Zardana and Ibbin. The three small posts were established last year to help the militants fend off a large-scale attack by the Syrian Arab Army and its allies.

A leader in the National Front for Liberation, Turkey’s main proxy in Greater Idlib, told Enab Baladi that the three posts were evacuated as a part of a plan to redeploy Turkish troops in the region. According to the leader, smaller posts will be merged with larger bases.

“What the Turks are exactly planning and aiming for is not yet known,” the leader, whose name was not revealed, told the pro-opposition outlet.

In the last few months of 2020, Turkish forces evacuated a number of posts which were all located in the government-held part of Greater Idlib.

The ongoing Turkish “redeployment” in Greater Idlib will not likely be limited to western Aleppo. In the last three years, Turkish forces established more than 60 posts in the region, most of which were built on a whim.

The redeployment plan is likely meant to improve the security of Turkish forces in Greater Idlib. Turkish troops were attacked on several occasions over the last two months.

MORE ON THIS TOPIC:

Support SouthFront

SouthFront

Do you like this content? Consider helping us!

ONE TIME SUPPORT 20 USD

ONE TIME SUPPORT 50 USD

ONE TIME SUPPORT 100 USD

ONE TIME SUPPORT 500 USD