Turkey was still recruiting Syrian militants despite the ceasefire declared in Libya, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) reported on August 22.
The monitoring group said a new batch of Syrian militants, who were recruited from Aleppo and Idlib, had arrived in military training camps in Turkey.
“Until the moment, we don’t know the destination of these mercenaries after the [military] course, or if the Turkish government would continue to push them into Libya, especially after the Libyan-Libyan agreement,” the SOHR’s report reads.
Since last year, Turkey has deployed 17,420 Syrian militants, including 350 minors, in Libya to support the Government of National Accord (GNA).
A day earlier, the GNA announced a nationwide ceasefire. The step was apparently the result of an agreement with the House of Representatives, which is supporting the Libyan National Army.
Turkey welcomed the ceasefire agreement. Presidential spokesman, İbrahim Kalın, said Ankara is sure that a political settlement can be reached in Libya, stressing that a military solution is not preferred.
Ankara’s position indicates that the newly-recruited Syrian militants may not be heading to Libya. According to a number of recent reports, Yemen or Azerbaijan may be the next destination for Turkish-backed Syrian militants.