Turkey said on Sunday that its military stuck positions of the Syrian Arab Army (SAA) in response to a new attack on one of its observation posts around Syria’s Idlib.
In an official statement, Ankara’s Ministry of National Defense said that the Syrian military shelled one of its posts in the northern Hama countryside near the town of Murak. The ministry said that the attack was “deliberate.” However, it resulted in material damage only.
Ankara said that its military retaliated by striking positions of the SAA in an unspecified location after “taking the necessary initiatives with Moscow.”
Syrian pro-government sources confirmed that positions of the SAA near the towns of Tell Bazzam and al-Kabariyah were shelled by the Turkish artillery. The sources claimed that the Turkish observation post near Murak was the source of the fire.
Two days earlier, Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan vowed that his country will respond to any attack on Idlib’s observation posts. The Turkish military deployed additional reinforcements following that threat, mainly in Murak’s post.
Moscow and Damascus have not commented on Turkey’s claims, so far. The Ministry of Defense of Russia may reveal new information on the incident in the upcoming few hours, as it had been done before.
- In Video: Turkish Military Deploys Additional Troops, Armored Vehicles At Observation Posts In Idib Zone