A new ceasefire in the Greater Idlib region in northwest Syria is set to start just after midnight on Sunday, January 12, the Turkish National Defense Ministry announced.
In a statement released on January 10, the ministry said that the ceasefire will take effect in less than 30 hours, at 0.01 Syria time (2101GMT) on January 12, right after midnight.
“Turkey and the Russian Federation have agreed on the implementation of the cease-fire within the Idlib de-escalation zone, stopping the air/ground attacks, preventing loss of life and new migratory flows with the purpose of contributing to the normalization of life,” the ministry’s statement reads, according to the Anadolu Agency.
The Russian Reconciliation Center in Syria announced the surprise ceasefire a day earlier. The Syrian Arab Army (SAA) was reportedly preparing to resume ground operations in Greater Idlib when the ceasefire was announced.
Earlier today, the SAA carried out a series of artillery and aerial strikes on the southeastern and eastern parts of Greater Idlib.
A source in the SAA told South Front that the strikes targeted terrorists preparing to launch a new attack on military positions in the southeastern Idlib countryside. The strikes successfully foiled the terrorists’ plans.
Al-Qaeda-affiliated Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) and its allies have not commented on the new ceasefire, so far. Last year, terrorist groups sabotaged many similar agreements, forcing the SAA to resume operations in Greater Idlib. This will likely happen once again.