0 $
2,500 $
5,000 $
2,248 $
SEPTEMBER 2020

Turkey Says It Will Inform Damascus About Upcoming Operation In Northeast Syria

Donate

Turkey Says It Will Inform Damascus About Upcoming Operation In Northeast Syria

Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu. IMAGE: AP Photo/Burhan Ozbilici

Turkey will inform all relevant countries, including the Damascus government, about its planned military operation in northeastern Syria, the Turkish Foreign Minister said on October 9.

Mevlut Cavusoglu made the remarks at a news conference in the Algerian capital, according to the Reuters news agency.

The Turkish minister said that the operation will be carried out in line with international law and that the only target of the offensive is “militants” in Syria’s northeast region. Cavusoglu was clearly referring to the U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Force (SDF).

According to Cavusoglu, Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had told President Donald Trump in at the weekend that Ankara would launch the offensive after Washington stalled efforts to form a “safe zone” in the region.

Earlier, Turkish Defense Minister said that preparations for the planned military operation were ongoing, with forces moving to the frontlines.

Cavusoglu’s remarks were not a surprise. In early 2018, Ankara informed Damascus about its operation in the area of Afrin hours before launching it.

The SDF vowed to repel the upcoming attack, and even to move the battle into Turkey territory. Last year, the Kurdish group made similar promises in Afrin, but ultimately failed to defend the area.

More on this topic:

Donate

SouthFront

Do you like this content? Consider helping us!