The Turkish Armed Forces (TAF) have boosted its naval group in the Eastern Mediterranean as the battle of Idlib is looming in Syria, Turkey’s pro-government daily Yeni Safak reported on September 2.
“The Russian defense ministry said that more than 25 warships and support vessels and around 30 planes, including fighter jets and strategic bombers, would take part in the Mediterranean drills which it said would last from Sept. 1 to Sept. 8.
Upon these developments, Turkey, which previously had 10 warships in the region, dispatched several more naval vessels to the region, the exact number of which is unknown.
Turkey has numerously expressed its objections to an Idlib offensive, saying it would lead to disaster, and is taking every precaution to protect its rights and interests in international waters,” Yeni Safak wrote in its article.
On September 1, the Russian Navy already started its drills in the area near Syria, which involve two Tu-142MK maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare (ASW) aircraft.
At the same time, the Russian side has warned that the US is building up a strike force to attack government factilities in Syria after an expected staged chemical attack in the province of Idlib.
Summing up the recent developments, all the sides involved in the conflict are currently preparing for a new round of military escalation. This time the escalation will be caused by an effort of the Syrian-Iranian-Russian alliance to defeat the terrorists in Idlib. The US-led bloc as well as Turkey are not happy with this.