Sabotage of underground powerlines and cyberattacks originating in the US resulted in the power outages which Istanbul and other parts of Turkey have been facing since last week, Turkish Energy Minister Berat Albayrak said in an interview with A Haber TV.
“Yesterday, we faced an intense, US-originated cyber attack. These attacks have been carried out systematically on different parts of the Energy Ministry, but we have repelled them all.”
Albayrak noted that ministry staff discovered sabotage of underground lines in three districts of Istanbul.
Istanbul, Turkey’s largest city, has been expiriencing power outages since last week, when cold weather and snowstorms hit the country.
Initial reports said that the power cuts were due to damage to the power grid caused by the snow. But on January 7, a source in the ministry told the Turkish state-run news agency ‘Anadolu’ that hacking from the United States soil was also a part of the problem.
“Many infiltration attempts to the systems controlling our transmission and electricity producing lines were determined and prevented. The infiltration attempts are indicators of a major sabotage preparation against Turkey’s national electricity network,” Anadolu quoted an anonymous source.