Mozambican government forces have recaptured the district of Muidumbe, where ISIS-linked militants beheaded at least 50 people earlier this month.
The horrifying attack, which took place in Muatide village, was first reported by the state media on November 9. The militants drove the village’s locals to a football pitch before beginning the executions. A number of women and children were reportedly abducted.
Muidumbe is located in the northeastern province of Cabo Delgado, where a multi-billion gas project is under construction.
Mozambican Police General Commander Bernardino Rafael confirmed on November 19 that Mudiumbe had been recaptured. The commander said 16 militants were killed in the operation.
“We marched and arrived in Muidumbe district headquarters, we expelled those who had occupied it,” he said in footage broadcast by state broadcaster TVM. “Congratulations to our brave men … what we achieved up to now is not a victory, we achieved one step of our work.”
The commander added that the militants should stop the violence and engage in talks with the government, which is open to dialogue.
The situation in Cabo Delgado remains tense. Mozambican government forces are working to push the militants, who occupy the port town of Mocimboa da Paria, away from Mueda town.
- Government Forces Brace For Heated Battle With ISIS In Mozambican Mueda Town
- At Least 50 Beheaded By Terrorists In Mozambique’s Cabo Delgado