On December 8th, the Agreement on the establishment of a logistics center for the Russian Navy on the territory of Sudan of December 1st, 2020 was officially published on the Russian government website.
The document can be viewed on the following link.
The significant provisions in it are as follows:
- the number of personnel (military and civilian personnel) of the base is not more than 300 people;
- Simultaneous presence at the base of no more than 4 ships, including ships with a nuclear power plant;
- the Russian side has the right to import by any available means everything that is necessary for the operation of the facility, including ammunition and weapons;
- the territory of the base is subject to the jurisdiction of the Russian Federation, outside the base – it is decided by the competent authorities of the parties;
- the security of the external perimeter of the base is ensured by Sudan, internal, including the water area and air defense – by the Russian Armed Forces with the right to use weapons;
- for the protection and defense of a point of the Russian Armed Forces, they can use electronic warfare equipment without notifying the Sudanese side.
The text of the most important agreement between Russia and Sudan has been published.
This document, signed on July 23, 2019 in Khartoum and on December 1, 2020 in Moscow, authorizes the creation of a logistics center for our Navy on the territory of the African state. It also defines the basic principles for the stay in the city of Port Sudan on the Red Sea for Russian military personnel, warships and other naval equipment.
The agreement says that the presence of a Russian naval point on the territory of Sudan meets the goals of maintaining peace and stability in the region, is defensive in nature and is not directed against other states.
It has been established that these agreements will be valid for 25 years. They can be automatically renewed for subsequent 10-year periods, we quote, “if none of the parties at least one year before the expiration of the next period notifies the other party in writing through diplomatic channels of its intention to terminate it.”
The document defines the rules for the entry of our naval equipment into the territorial waters and port of an African state. The logistics center located there will be able to simultaneously house up to 4 combat units of the Russian Navy, including warships with a nuclear power plant. But under one tough condition – their crews must comply with nuclear and environmental safety requirements in a foreign country.
The number of personnel at the logistics center is named – no more than 300 people. But the object itself can be quite extensive, including the coastline, water area and the area of the mooring front.
The Sudanese will be engaged in external protection of its borders. They will also, on a commercial basis, provide the point with electricity, fresh water, fuels and lubricants, food and other material resources. However, the document does not exclude the delivery of everything necessary for our sailors and warships from Russia.
The logistics center for the Russian Navy in Sudan can be quite extensive. Include the coastline, water area, and the area of the quay front
The protection of the water area of the naval point and the protection of its inner territory will fall on our servicemen. Therefore, the agreement stipulates that they have the right to carry weapons at the facility. But outside the naval station, it will be allowed to have such an arsenal on hand and even more so to use it by the Russian military only upon agreement with the Sudanese authorities.
And one more important point. It is clear that our warships located in Port Sudan and the very point of material and technical support of the Navy will require protection not only from sea and land, but also in the sky. The agreement provides for the presence of our air defense systems there.
Russian anti-aircraft missile systems should also cover the Sudanese naval base in the city from air strikes. In addition, Russia will free of charge help develop the infrastructure of this base and the armed forces of the African state as a whole. This is also reflected in the agreement.
This is quite a significant agreement between Russia and Sudan and it shows the success of Moscow in spreading its influence in Africa.
At the same time, it should be reminded that the US still designates Sudan as a state-sponsor of terrorism.
MORE ON THE TOPIC:
- The War On Terror Is Questionably Over, Is War On Russia Inevitable?
- Russia Approves Construction Of Naval Logistics Center On Sudan’s Coast In The Red Sea