The Pakistani military reportedly eliminated a field commander of the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan. Three militants of the terrorist group were killed along with the field commander, who was identified as Ghafoor.
The assassination took place during a counter-terrorist operation of the Pakistani security forces on December 18. The operation was carried out in the Bajaur district in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, where Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan members recently committed several attacks.
According to the Pakistani security forces, Ghafoor was involved in a series of terrorist attacks in the region. He was also close to Maulvi Faqir Mohammad, another field commander of the and former deputy chief of Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan, who survived another assassination attempt on December 16.
Maulvi Faqir Mohammad is believed to hide in Afghanistan’s north-western province of Kunar, where he was allegedly targeted with a drone by the Pakistani Armed Forces.
The Pakistani Armed Forces launched counter terrorist attacks in the country’s border regions with afghanistan following several terrorist attacks in different regions.
- On December 15, an intelligence officer of Pakistan was killed in one of terrorist attacks in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province. Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan did not claim responsibility for the attack, but the group remains the main suspect, as it has claimed two other attacks which targeted the Pakistani Armed Forces in the same province. At least two Pakistani servicemen were killed.
- On December 19, at least two people were killed and four others were injured in a suicide bombing carried out in Pakistan’s northwestern province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa in the Bajaur tribal region. The suicide attack was carried out on the day of the local government elections. One of the victims was the leader of the district organization of the Awami National Party, who ran for election.
- Moreover, on December 18, unidentified gunmen shot dead Umar Khattab Sherani, the head of the same organization in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province.
- On December 19, at least one person has been killed and another 10 injured by an explosion at the market in Pakistan’s southern city of Quetta.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attacks yet.
Another incident took place in the city of Karachi in southern Pakistan, where an explosion claimed lives of at least 16 civilians.
According to law enforcement agencies, the explosion took place in the building of a private bank on December 18. The exact reason of the explosion is yet to be revealed. Geo News agency reported that the explosion could have occurred due to a gas leak.
MORE ON THE TOPIC:
- Pakistan Slips On A Slippery Slope Of Religious Militancy
- Saudi Nuclear Program Progressing As New Saudi-Sino-Pakistan Alliance Emerging
- Сrowd Burned Down Police Station In Pakistan (Video)