On December 5, the Taliban announced that its fighters had carried out a coordinated attack on a base of the Afghan National Army (ANA) in the district of Shawalikot in the southern province of Kandahar.
Voice of Jihad, the official news agency of the Taliban, said that 25 soldiers and officers of the ANA were killed and many others were injured in the attack. The agency also acknowledged that 4 personnel of the Taliban were killed and injured.
Earlier, the Taliban said that its fighters destroyed two military vehicles of the NATO in the district of Daman and in the outskirt of the capital of Kandahar with improvised explosive devices (IEDs). According to the Afghan group’s claims, several service members of the NATO were killed and injured as a result of the attacks.
The NATO has not commented on the Taliban’s claims so far. The US-led coalition usually acknowledges its loses several days after the attacks for security reasons.
Kandahar is well-known as one of the main strongholds of the Taliban. Afghan government forces and the NATO carried out dozens of operations in the province during the last few years. However, the Taliban’s influence there is still strong.