On November 3, a senior regional official close to Damascus told Reuters that a US official traveled to the Syrian capital, Damascus, via Lebanon and met with the Director of the Syrian National Security Bureau, Ali Mamluk.
The regional official said that during the meeting Mamluk protested against the US Army deployment inside Syria and called it an “occupation”.
The US official responded saying that the US forces are in Syria to fight ISIS and added that the US Army presence is “advisory”.
The Lebanese al-Akhbar revealed that US official and Mamluk discussed the issue of the missing US citizens in Syria, including the missing operatives of the CIA. The two sides also discussed many other security issues according to al-Akhbar.
The US official visit to Damascus can be considered as a sign that the US is ready to talk with the Syrian government. This could mean that the US commitment to support the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) might be less than what the SDF officials and media are promoting.
The visit was considered the first visit of a US official to Damascus since the war broke out back in 2011. However, no American or Syrian officials commented on Reuters and al-Akhabr reports So far.