The Russian news agency TASS reports (source):
Calls of some Syrian opposition activists to continue strikes against Syria by the United States and its allies are absolutely unacceptable, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said on Friday after his talks with UN Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura.
“We voiced serious concern that some opposition members, who represent a so-called National Coalition for Syrian Revolution and Opposition Forces, had urged the US, Britain and France to carry on with their military action of aggression and to target entire Syria with their military operation. Those statements are absolutely unacceptable,” Lavrov said.
“We hope that those who wield influence and have control over that group of opposition will draw the right conclusions and call them to order,” he said.
Missile strike on Syria
On April 14, the United States, the United Kingdom and France carried out a massive missile strike on Syria without getting a go-ahead from the United Nations Security Council. The strikes targeted a research facility in Damascus, the Syrian Guard headquarters, an air defense base, a few military airfields and army depots.
Russia’s Defense Ministry said that the missile strike against Syria’s military and civilian infrastructure facilities was carried out by US planes and naval ships in cooperation with British and French air forces between 03:42 and 05:10 Moscow time. According to the ministry, the Syrian air defenses shot down 71 out of 103 missiles fired by the United States and its allies.
The United States, Britain and France said the strikes were in response to an alleged chemical weapons attack in Syria’s Douma.
On April 7, a number of NGOs, including the White Helmets, alleged that chemical weapons were used in Douma, Eastern Ghouta. According to the statement published on the organization’s website on April 8, chlorine bombs had been dropped on the city, killing dozens and poisoning many locals who had to be brought to the hospital.
The Russian Foreign Ministry dismissed that report as fake news. The Defense Ministry added that the White Helmets were notorious for spreading falsehoods.