0 $
2,500 $
5,000 $
2,046 $
11 DAYS UNTIL THE END OF OCTOBER 2020

Syrian Mercenaries Suffered Their First Losses On Nagorno-Karabakh Front Lines

Donate

Syrian Mercenaries Suffered Their First Losses On Nagorno-Karabakh Front Lines

Illustrative image

Turkish-backed Syrian militants have suffered their first losses while fighting for the Azerbaijani Armed Forces in the disputed region of Nagorno-Karabakh.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) reported the militants’ first causality on September 30. The militant was reportedly shot dead by Armenian forces on one of Nagorno-Karabakh’s front lines.

According to the London-based monitoring group, up to 320 Syrian militants are now supporting the Azerbaijani attack on Nagorno-Karabakh.

While the SOHR reported a single Syrian casualty, BBC producer, Riam Dalati, said that at least nine Syrians had been killed while fighting in Nagorno-Karabakh so far. According to Dalati, the number of casualties could reach 13.

Turkey’s plan to deploy Syrian militants in Azerbaijan to support a push on Nagorno-Karabakh was first revealed in July. After months of denial, sources close to Turkish-backed militants confirmed the plan to Reuters two days ago.

Syrian militants sent to Azerbaijan are reportedly receiving a monthly salary of $1,500 to 2,000. The militants told that their task would be to guard oil facilities. However, they are now fighting on Nagorno-Karabakh’s front lines.

The deployment of Syrian militants in Azerbaijan indicates that Turkey played a key role in Baku’s decision to launch an attack on Nagorno-Karabakh.

MORE ON THIS TOPIC:

Donate

SouthFront

Do you like this content? Consider helping us!