0 $
2,500 $
5,000 $
711 $
MARCH 2021

Syrian Foreign Minister: No Agreement On Southern Syria Until US Withdraws From Al-Tanaf

Donate

Syrian Foreign Minister: No Agreement On Southern Syria Until US Withdraws From Al-Tanaf

By SANA, click to see the full-size image

On June 2, Syria’s Foreign Minister Walid Muallem said during a press briefing in the Syrian capital of Damascus that Syria will not approve any agreement on southern Syria until US forces withdraw from the al-Tanaf base near the Syrian-Iraqi border.

“Do not believe any statements on an agreement about the south of Syria unless the US forces withdraw from al-Tanf area,” Muallem said answering a question regarding the supposed agreement in southern Syria, according to the Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA).

Muallem also said that there are only Iranian military advisers in Syria who are assisting the Syrian Army (SAA) upon an official request from the Damascus government. However, the Syrian minister denied the presence of any “Iranian bases” or “Iranian forces” in Syria, and accused Israel of spreading such propaganda.

“Since the beginning of the crisis, Iran has supported Syria in the war against terrorism backed and financed regionally and internationally… no Iranian military presence on the Syrian territories rather there are advisers who work by the side of the Syrian Arab Army, ”said Al-Muallem.

A day earlier, Russia’s Ambassador to the UN, Vasily Nebenzya confirmed that an agreement, under which Iranian forces and Lebanese Hezbollah will withdraw from southern Syria, had been reached, but declined to reveal if the agreement is being implemented now.

Deputy foreign ministers of Russia, Jordan and the US are set to meet in the Jordanian capital of Amman next week to discuss the situation in southern Syria. Local observers believe that the meeting will be vital for the future of Syria.

Donate

SouthFront

Do you like this content? Consider helping us!