On October 24, unknown militants shelled the districts of al-Shahba, al-Zahra, Halab al-Jadidah and Adhamiyah in the northern and western parts of the city of Aleppo with rockets and mortars, according to several Syrian pro-government news outlets. Ten civilians were reportedly injured in the attack.
In response to this clear violation of the Russian-Turkish deconfliction agreement, the SAA artillery and rocket launchers shelled several positions of the militants in the opposition-held areas of Kafr Hamrah, Dahrat Abd Rabh, al-Salat, al-Zahra and al-Leramoun in the vicinity of Aleppo. A source in the SAA told SouthFront that the respond was “fierce.”
Last week, local sources reported that Turkish-backed groups began withdrawing their heavy weapons from their positions around Aleppo. This may mean that the attack was carried out by a radical group, such as Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS).
This kind of attacks poses a serious threat to the deconfliction agreement on Idlib, which considers the opposition-held areas around Aleppo a part of a demilitarized zone. Earlier, the Turkish defense minister said that a large number of heavy weapons and militants were cleared from the zone. However, these claims are yet to be verified.