On January 14, an officer of the Syrian Arab Army (SAA) told SouthFront that the SAA had launched a new limited military operation against the Saudi-backed militant group Jaysh al-Islam in the southern part of the Eastern Ghouta region. So far, the SAA had managed to capture Tell Farzat Hhill west of the strategic town of al-Nashabiyah, according to the source.
From its side, Jaysh al-Islam confirmed that the SAA launched the new attack against its positions in the Hazrama and Hush al-Duahra villages around al-Nashabiyah town. The Saudi-backed group said that is fighters are currently repelling the SAA attack and didn’t provide any further details.
— جيش الإسلام (@jaishalislam) January 14, 2018
The SAA launched a similar limited attack against Jaysh al-Islam in the towns of al-Nashabiyah and al-Bilaliyah in the southern part of the Eastern Ghouta region on December 30, 2017. However, Jaysh al-Islam fighters were able to repel the attack and recapture all the positions they lost within few days.
According to the SAA officer, these limited attacks against Jaysh al-Islam are only aimed at pressuring the militants in the Eastern Ghouta region in order to prevent them from supporting the Ahrar al-Sham Movement’s attack on the Armored Vehicles Base.