On Sunday, an official of the Syrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates told the Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) that Raqqa city is still occupied.
The Syrian official added that the US-led coalition claims of liberating Raqqa city from ISIS are “mere lies aiming to divert international public opinion from the crimes they committed in Raqqa province”.
“More than 90% of Raqqa city has been leveled due to the deliberate and barbaric bombardment of the city and the towns near it by the [US] alliance, which also destroyed all services and infrastructures and forced tens of thousands of locals to leave the city and become refugees,” the official told SANA.
The official added that Syrian citizens who were forced to leave Raqqa city are now living on the roads and in camps due to the practices of “the so-called Syrian Democratic Forces [SDF]”.
Moreover, the source accused the US-backed SDF of stealing the humanitarian aid meant to save the lives of Raqqa locals, and even of confiscating the IDs and documents of the locals. Previously, Syrian opposition source confirmed that the SDF is holding refugees from Raqqa and Deir Ezzor governorates inside camps against their will.
“The quick calls by the US and the alliance for rebuilding Raqqa is an act of scam and fraud on the public opinion seeking to cover up the destruction they caused in Raqqa,” the official added.
The official went on and stressed that the Syrian government will continue considering Raqqa an occupied city until the Syrian Arab Army (SAA) enters it.
The official also accused the US-led coalition and the SDF of allowing ISIS to withdraw from the city to fight the Iraqi Army and the SAA in other areas.
This was the first time Syria releases a clear statement against the US-backed SDF and its activates. This proves that the Syrian government views the SDF as a threat now. Back on September 26, Syria Foreign Affairs Minister Walid Muallem said that negotiation with the SDF is possible.
Back then, Syrian pro-government sources worried that the SDF might understand the Syrian Foreign Minister statement as a sign of weakness. This worries were confirmed when the SDF went on and captured the strategic Omar and al-Tanak oil fields in Deir Ezzor governorate.