On October 14, an official source from the Syrian Foreign Ministry told the Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) that the Syrian Arab Republic demands an “immediate and unconditional withdrawal of the Turkish troops from the Syrian territories”.
The official sources also condemned the ongoing Turkish Army operation in Syria’s Idlib governorate, and called it a “flagrant violation of international law”.
According to SANA, the Syrian official noted that the Turkish Army units were escorted by a terrorist group, Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS), when they entered Idlib.
“The international community should pay more attention to and take firm stance in order to oblige Turkey to end its support to terrorism which managed to shed the blood of Syrian people and destabilize the region and the entire world,” SANA quoted the sources.
The official source told SANA that the Turkish Army operation “has nothing to do with what has been agreed upon by the guarantor states during the latest round of talks in Astana.” The sources also stressed that Turkey should abide by provisions of Astana statement.
So far, no clashes between the Turkish Army and HTS have been reported in Idlib. This confirms that there is indeed a deal between the two sides. HTS even redeployed many of its units to repel the ISIS attack in the northwestern Hama countryside without worrying about the Turkish Army in the northern Idlib countryside.
The real aim of the Turkish Army military operation in Idlib governorate could be to counter the Kurdish Democratic Party (PYD) and the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) operating in northwestern Syria.