In its first response to the recent Turkish statements about the Adana agreement, Damascus said on Saturday that it is still committed to the anti-terrorism pact that was reached in 1998.
A source in the Syrian Foreign Ministry told the Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) that the country is committed to Adana and all anti-terrorism agreements. However, he stressed that Ankara has been violating the agreement since 2011 by supporting terrorism in Syria and directly occupying parts of the country.
“The Turkish regime should commit to the agreement and stop supporting, arming, financing and training terrorists and should withdraw its military forces from the Syrian areas it occupies so that the two countries can activate the agreement that insures the security and safety of their border,” the source added.
Under the agreement, Damascus committed to prevent terror activities against Turkey. The agreement also included terms on cooperation in the fight against terrorism and establishing a monitoring committee.
Earlier this week, Russia’s President Vladimir Putin called on Ankara and Damascus to engage in direct talks on the Adana agreement in order to address current threats. Putin’s mention of the agreement was immediately welcomed by the Turkish President.
“There is nobody who can say the agreement is no longer valid. Quite the contrary, Mr. Putin points out that this agreement can be crucial for our struggle against terrorism,” Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Thursday, according to Ahval News.
While Erdogan didn’t clarify if his government is indeed willing to discuss the issue with Damascus, he publicly said that Turkey may use the agreement to justify a military operation in northeastern Syria.