Suspected suicide bomber claims to be one of the Chibok girls abducted by Boko Haram. Parents of the 270 schoolgirls seized by Islamic militants two years ago will travel to Cameroon to verify her identity.
NTA reported that the parents of the 270 schoolgirls will travel to Cameroon in order to find out whether the two girls arrested before they could detonate suicide bombs are the same Nigerian schoolgirls, kidnapped by Boko Haram two years ago.
On Friday, three girls were caught, planning to carry out an attack in the northern part of the Cameroon village of Limani, CRTV reported.
One of the girls managed to escape, and the other claimed to be part of the group of the 276 teenage girls kidnapped by Boko Haram from Chibok, Nigeria in April 2014.
The information of the parents’ trip is contained in a statement issued in Abuja on Saturday by Garba Shehu, the Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity to President Muhammadu Buhari.
The statement said already the Minister of Women Affairs, Aisha Alhassan, and the Nigerian high commissioner in Cameroon had swung into action and were receiving a lot of cooperation from the Cameroonian authorities.
“It has been confirmed that one of two girls is claiming to be among the girls stolen from Chibok on April 14, last year, although doubts have creeped into the claim following new information from Cameroon that the two girls are aged about 10 years,’’ it stated.
According to the statement, one of the two is also believed to be heavily drugged and therefore not in full control of her senses.
The Nigerian government designated two parents from Chibok to travel to Cameroon and visit the girls, NTA said. A timeline has yet to be announced about the Chibok parents’ trip.
One of the attackers is being held by the Cameroonian military and a second was sent to a health unit for medical treatment, though her condition was not revealed, CRTV reported. One of the two was also believed to be heavily drugged and therefore not in full control of her senses, NTA said.