Istanbul Governor Vasip Sahin said that five people were killed, and at least 36 others were wounded after a suicide bombing rocked the main shopping street in central Istanbul.
Today, a suicide bomb attack in Beyoglu district of Istanbul has killed at least five people and wounded 36.
Istanbul Governor Vasip Sahin said that five people were killed, and at least 36 others were wounded after a suicide bombing rocked the main shopping street in central Istanbul. He said that five people were killed including the suicide bomber; more than 36 others were wounded. He also said that rumors of attacks elsewhere in Istanbul were false.
Nobody has claimed responsibility for the attack yet.
Citing Israel’s foreign ministry statement, Turkey’s Dogan news agency has said that three of the wounded are Israeli citizens.
Following the bomb attack in Ankara on March 13 which left 37 dead, the Turkish military increased its military campaign against PKK although no groups has yet claimed responsibility for the attack.
More than 28 military personnel were killed and 61 wounded in a car explosion in Ankara last month.
It was also reported recently that Ankara also increased its airstrikes on PKK positions in northern Iraq.
On March 17, Kurds in Syria declared a federation in the country’s north, which was also criticized by the West and Syrian government.
According to Turkish military statement, 45 PKK militants have been killed in the Qandi mountain area in northern Iraq by the Turkish airstrikes in recent weeks.
The Turkish government has recently been engaged in an intensified crackdown on the country’s Kurdish population in the southeast, since then violence has increased in Turkey. The country also has been carrying out airstrikes against Kurdish positions in Iraq and Syria.