On February 2nd, in Ghent, Belgium, a woman reportedly stabbed and wounded two people on Bevrijdingslaan Street in Ghent.
According to media reports, the police shot and apprehended the assailant. Police have cordoned off the area and an investigation is underway.
— Sotiri Dimpinoudis (@sotiridi) February 2, 2020
The woman’s motives remain unclear, with some local media reports saying that the woman attacked her victims at different times and locations around the same area.
There was no indication that the attack was terror-related, according to the public prosecutor’s office. No other details have been provided by authorities.
On the same day, across the english channel, in London, an attacker stabbed several people before he was shot, and killed, by police officers.
London police confirmed the identity of the attack, 20-year-old Sudesh Amman. He was released from prison in January 2020, after being sent there in 2018.
As an 18-year-old student, he distributed al-Qaeda propaganda materials in the WhatsApp messenger.
Amman also sent a message to his relatives saying, “The Islamic state will remain.”
In one of the conversations, referring to the Qur’an, he spoke about the permissibility of rape of the Yezidis.
Amman offered his girlfriend to kill her “infidel” parents.
He also distributed messages in which he called for terrorist attacks against tourists and security forces. As a result, the court sentenced him to 3.5 years in prison. However, he was released before the end of his sentence.
In total, he was sentenced for 13 various terrorism-related offences and was released ahead of schedule, just in time to carry out his terror attack.
The police said that at the time of the attack Amman was under surveillance, but law enforcement officers could not prevent the crime. In total, three people were injured in the attack. He stabbed two, and one was injured due to glass shattering when police shot Amman.
A fake explosive device was also found on his body.
In apparent response to the attacker’s previous terror convictions, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson said that he would be announcing “further plans for fundamental changes to the system for dealing with those convicted of terrorism offences.”
In both attacks the victims survived and have no threat to their lives, and only the perpetrator of the UK attack was killed by authorities.
This, however, is a symptomatic result of Europe’s woeful lack of preparation to tackle any terror attacks, since examples such as this are relatively frequent, especially in the UK.
Just two months ago, in November 2019, a man went on a spree, stabbing five people, of which two died in London.
The attacker, Usman Khan, had been released from prison in 2018 on license after serving a sentence for terrorist offences.
It shows how effective Europe’s anti-terrorism policy is, and how well the sentences work and how “reformed” the “former” terrorists come out of prison.
In October 2019, in Germany, a man attempted to carry out a mass shooting at a synagogue in the city of Halle, he killed two civilians before being subdued by police.
The common denominator in most of these is that security forces were actually aware that something of the sort might happen, but there was no mechanism, capability or some other justification that would allow the attack to be avoided, thus terror attacks are simply allowed to take place.
MORE ON THE TOPIC: