On March 21, the Houthis (Ansar Allah) shared a brief summary of the results of six years of war by Saudi Arabia and its allies on Yemen.
A coalition of Arab states led by Saudi Arabia and backed by the US intervened in Yemen around six years ago with the aim of foiling the “rebellion” that was ignited by the Houthis and their allies. Despite the overwhelming dominance in equipment, manpower and air support, the coalition has failed to achieve any of its goals so far. The Houthis are even still in control of the capital – Sanaa.
In a press conference, the Houthis’ spokesman Brig. Gen. Yahya Sari revealed that the coalition carried out more than 266,510 airstrikes on Yemen in the past six years. At least 1,000 airstrikes were carried out this year only. Many other strikes went unrecorded.
“Most of these raids targeted Yemeni citizens, villages, homes, cities, roads, mosques, as well as private and public facilities, and led to the death and injury of tens of thousands of Yemenis,” the spokesman said.
The spokesman summarized the operations of the Houthis and their allies in the past six years as follows:
- The Missile Force carried out 1,348 operations in which 1,348 ballistic missiles were launched. At least 499 missiles were launched at key facilities and military positions in Saudi Arabia and the UAE.
- The Air Force carried out 12,623 operations with drones. 572 attacks hit targets of the Saudi-led coalition outside of Yemen and 578 attacks hit hostile targets within Yemen. The Air Force also carried out 11,473 reconnaissance operations. This year, 1,464 operations, including 124 attack operations and 1,340 reconnaissance operations, were carried out.
- The Yemeni Armed Forces carried out 12,366 combat operations, including:
-6,192 offensive operations, 167 of which were carried out this year.
-6,174 defensive operations, 113 of which took place in the last two months.
The spokesman noted that at least ten large-scale operations against the Saudi-led coalition and its proxies have not been revealed yet.
- The Sniper Units carried out 54,025 operations, including 2,502 in the last two months.
- The Engineer Units carried out 10,560 operations against fortifications, positions, vehicles and gatherings of Saudi-led coalition forces.
- The Anti-Armor Units carried out 6,385 operations in which scores of vehicles were destroyed.
- The Artillery Units carried out 59,852 fire support and targeting operations, 638 of which were conducting in coordination with the Air Force.
- The Air Defense Force carried out 1,534 operations, in which 454 warplanes and drones of the Saudi-led coalition were shot down.
- The Navy and Costal Defense Units carried out 34 attacks on Saudi-led coalition warships and naval facilities.
The losses of the Saudi-led coalition and its proxies in the last six years, according to the Houthis:
- 10,403 Saudi service members were killed or injured. 403 of them – this year only.
- 1,240 UAE service members were killed or injured as of March 2020, when the UAE withdrew from Yemen.
- 4,416 Sudanese service members were killed and 4,218 were injured.
- 226,615 Yemeni fighters of Saudi-backed forces were killed or injured. 18,000 were killed and 50,000 others were injured this year on the frontline in Ma’rib province only.
Furthermore, the Saudi-led coalition allegedly lost 14,527 vehicles, armored personnel carriers, battle tanks, bulldozers and heavy weapons during the last six year.
Brig. Gen. Sari concluded his briefing by praising the Houthis’ growing capabilities. The spokesman also vowed that the struggle against Saudi Arabi and its allies will continue in the 7th year of war.
“The enemy must realize that the 7th year of steadfastness will witness more military operations, which will not stop unless the aggression is stopped and the siege is lifted,” the spokesman said.
Some of the numbers shared by the Houthis were likely exaggerated. Nevertheless, there is no doubt that the Yemeni group was able to hold its ground for the last six years and inflict serious losses on the Saudi-led coalition, which failed to archive its main goals.
- Saudi Arabia Confirms New ‘Iran-Backed’ Drone Attack On Aramco Facility
- Satellite Images Show Extensive Damage At Saudi Oil Refinery Attacked By Houthis