Late on October 20, several explosions rocked the US-led coalition garrison in the southeastern Syrian area of al-Tanf, where some 200 American troops are deployed.
Jadeh Iran, an Arabian speaking Iranian news outlet, said that five suicide drones struck the garrison. An Iraqi source told the outlet that two of the drones were launched from inside Syria and at least three came from the direction of Iraq.
Meanwhile, a source in the US Central Command told Sky News Arabia that al-Tanf garrison came under a “missile attack.” The source claimed that the attack didn’t result in any American casualties.
🔴التنف: ما زالت النيران مندلعة في القاعدة الاميركية والحديث عن هجوم مزدوج بالصواريخ وطائرات بدون طيار. pic.twitter.com/pYckvCHZAu
— الرابط (هلال) (@hizbsoldier) October 20, 2021
According to the London-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, US troops and their Syrian proxies evacuated the garrison and took shelter in nearby areas during the attack.
The US-led coalition and its proxies maintain a strict 55 kilometers no-fly, no-drive zone around al-Tanf garrison, which blocks the main highway linking the Syrian capital, Damascus, and the Iraqi capital, Baghdad.
The attack was reportedly carried out by Iranian-backed forces. Last week, The Allies of Syria Operations Room, which commands Iranian-backed forces in Syria, vowed to response “very harshly” to the October 13 Israeli airstrikes that targeted the outskirts of the ancient Syrian city of Palmyra.
The airstrikes, which claimed the lives of a Syrian service member and three Iranian-backed fighters, were launched from the airspace of al-Tanf.
The attack on al-Tanf garrison represents a serious attempt by Iran and its allies in Syria to deter both the US and Israel. The US may respond to the attack soon.
MORE ON THIS TOPIC: