The Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) have begun withdrawing their troops from the Syrian-Turkish border in accordance with the U.S.-Turkish “peace corridor” agreement, which was reached earlier this month.
In a conference on August 27, Co-Chief of the Defense Office in the so-called Autonomous Administration of North and East Syria announced that the Kurdish-dominated group had withdrawn its troops from at least two border towns.
“First practical steps were initiated in the 24th of the current month in the area of Ras al-Ayn \ Sari Kani where some berms were removed, units of the People’s Protection Units (YPG) and heavy weapons were withdrawn to new positions and border posts were handed over to the military councils in the area … On the 26th of the current month the same said steps were taken in the area of Tell Abiad \ Gire Spi,” Zidan al-Assi said.
The commander added that these steps reflects the SDF’s “serious commitment to the current understandings” and its “keenness to reach a solution to all issues through peaceful dialogue with neighboring countries.”
Last week, the U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) released photos of SDF fighters destroying their fortifications along Turkey’s border, praising the group’s commitment to the “peace corridor” agreement.
The SDF’s announcement confirms that the U.S.-backed group will participate in the “peace corridor” agreement. This could lead to more tensions with the Damascus government, which had rejected the agreement.