On August 23, a warplane of the Saudi-led coalition conducted an airstrike on a mini bus carrying displaced civilians out from the district center of al-Durayhimi in western Yemen, according to the Yemeni al-Masirah TV. Local sources told al-Masirah that 22 children and 4 women were killed as a result of the airstrike.
Colonel Omar al-Hashibari, the director of security in al-Durayhimi, said that Saudi-led coalition warplanes are still flying over the attack site and preventing the Yemeni Red Crescent from evacuating injured civilians.
This was the third attack of the Saudi-led coalition on Yemeni civilians this month. On August 2, more than 55 civilians were killed in the western Yemeni city of al-Hudaydah by coalition warplanes. A week later, a warplane of the coalition bombed a school bus in Dahyan market in the northern Yemeni province of Saada killing around 50 civilians, most of whom were children.
The Saudi-led coalition has not commented on the airstrike so far. The coalition described the previous incidents as “legitimate military action,” despite of the high death toll.
The new massacre may further increase the international pressure on the Saudi-led coalition and the U.S. government, which is supplying the coalition with advanced weapons.