The Saudi-backed wing of the Yemeni military announced on January 19 that its troops had ambushed a unit of the Houthis (Ansar Allah) in the Yemeni province of al-Bayda’.
In a statement, the Yemeni military said Houthi fighters fell into an ambush set up by its troops south of Mount Suran in the district of Nati’.
“The ambush resulted in the death of a number of militia [Houthi] members and the injury of others,” the statement reads.
Saudi-backed forces also shelled Houthi positions and fortifications in Mount al-Burk, to the southeast of Mount Suran. According to the Yemeni military, several Houthi fighters were killed or injured in the shelling.
From their side, the Houthis shared a 4-minute video showing artillery strikes on Saudi-backed forces in the Kingdom’s southern province of Najran.
While Saudi-backed forces are inflicting some losses on the Houthis, they are ultimately failing to push the group back. The Saudi-led coalition air support appears to be ineffective.
Over the last 24 hours, Saudi-led coalition warplanes carried out a series of airstrikes on Houthi-held areas in different parts of Yemen. No civilian losses were reported.
- The Liaison and Coordination Officers’ Operations Room (loyal to Ansar Allah) reported 175 ceasefire violations in al-Hudaydah during the past 24 hours.
- On January 19, Saudi-led coalition warplanes conducted airstrikes on the Madghal area.
- On January 19, Saudi-led coalition warplanes conducted airstrikes on the Jabal Murad area.
- On January 19, Saudi-led coalition warplanes conducted airstrikes on the Kitaf area.
- On January 19, Saudi-led coalition warplanes conducted 2 airstrikes on the Haradh area.
- On January 19, Saudi-led coalition warplanes conducted 3 airstrikes on the Khab and Shaaf area.
- On January 19, Saudi-led coalition warplanes conducted 3 airstrikes on the Zahir area.
- On January 19, Saudi-led forces attacked Ansar Allah positions in Barqa and Dahidha areas.
The Houthis usually respond to Saudi-led coalition airstrikes on Yemen by launching missile or drone attacks on Saudi Arabia. The Kingdom’s southern provinces, ‘Asir, Jizan and Najran, and the coastal city of Jeddah are the main targets of the Houthis.
- Houthis Vow To Develop Even More ‘Deterrence Weapons’ To Confront Saudi Arabia And UAE (Map Update)
- UAE Forces Evacuate Base In Southern Yemen Amid Houthis’ Advances On Frontline (Map Update)