Saudi Arabia is open to sending troops to Syria under the US-led coalition if such a decision is taken, Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir said on April 17, according to the state-media.
“We are in discussion with the U.S. and have been since the beginning of the Syrian crisis about sending forces into Syria,” Jubeir said during a news conference with U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres in Riyadh.
The foreign minister added that Saudi Arabia had previously proposed this idea to then US President Barack Obama.
Earlier the Wall Street Journal’s report speculated that the administration of US President Donald Trump is seeking to establish some “Arab force” that would replace US troops in northern and northeastern Syria. This “Arab force” reportedly could be established with the support of Saudi Arabia and some other Gulf states.
However, a possible deployment of Saudi troops in Syria is far away from reality according to Syrian experts. Saudi Arabia is currently involved into a long and complicated military conflict in Yemen. The Saudi-led coalition intervened in the country in 2015 in order to defeat the Houthis and to establish a puppet government in the area. However, since then, the Saudi-led coalition has not achieved its main goals in the country. Its forces have even failed to retake the Yemeni capital. At the same time, the Houthis have increased cross-border attacks against and missile launches at Saudi Arabia.
In November 2017, SouthFront released an analysis entitled “Would Anyone Profit From a New War in the Middle East?“. It provides a look at Saudi Arabia’s poisition in the region: