Saudi Arabia has acknowledged that a projectile launched by the Houthis, in the late hours of June 19, landed near a strategic facility in the southern part of the Kingdom.
In an official statement released in the morning of June 20, the Saudi-led coalition said that the projectile landed near the al-Shuqaiq Water Desalination Plant in the southern Saudi province of Jizan. The impact didn’t result in any losses in equipment or lives, according to the coalition.
“Military and security bodies are working to determine the type of the projectile that was used, in the meantime, the Iran-backed Houthi terrorist militia, through its media, claimed full responsibility for this terrorist act using a cruise missile –as they claim-,” a spokesman for the Saudi-led coalition, Col. Turki al-Malki, said in the statement.
The Houthis claimed that they had targeted another facility, a power plant, which is located in the same exact area as the water desalination plan.
This was the second time when the Saudi-led coalition failed to intercept the Houthis’ so-called “cruise missiles.” Last week, a projectile of the same type hit the Abha International Airport in the Kingdom’s southern region rendering it out of service.
The success of the new attack is yet another example of the ever growing offensive capabilities of the Houthis. The Yemeni group had warned Saudi Arabia and its allies that it will intensify its strikes, and even threatened to hit al-Shuqaiq plant.