In 2018 the Russian Army reached an unprecedented level of equipment with modern weapons the Russian Defense Minister reported on its website citing remarks by Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu during the Defense Ministry’s Public Council in Moscow.
According to Shoigu, no other army in the world has reached such a level of modernization.
“In total, we received over 1,500 armaments and more than 80,000 pieces of equipment. This is a huge number. In general, we are 61.5% in terms of modernity. This level of modernity is not common or rather is not present in any of the armies of the world today,” Shoigu explained.
“We hope to reach a level of 67% in 2019 and 70% in 2020,” he added. According to him, the task which was set as part of the State Defense Order 2010-202 is going according to plan.
During the same meeting, Sergei Shoigu also praised Russia’s infrastructure in the Arctic. According to him, it is unrivaled in the entire world and is the most advanced.
“We are pushing ahead with step-by-step work on the Arctic islands. Airdromes are being restored and the most advanced infrastructures created. I can say with certainty that no other country in the world has the type of modern infrastructures Russia has,” Shoigu said.
He recalled that military infrastructures were being created on Franz Josef Land, Alexandra Land, Kotelny Island, Sredny Island, Wrangel Island, Cape Schmidt and New Siberian Islands.
Construction of military infrastructures was in progress on the Kuril Islands, too, he added.
“Newly-built homes and facilities on the Kuril Islands will be commissioned on New Year’s Eve,” the Defense Minister said.
This is in line with previous reports that Russia is undertaking a military build-up on the Kuril Islands.
- The Russian military organized more than 18,000 trainings and exercises at various levels;
- The number of bilateral exercises went up by 20%;
- More than 31,000 units of signal equipment were delivered to the Russian Armed Forces; The automated command and control system of the armed forces was upgraded;
In terms of Strategic Nuclear Forces, the level of modernized equipment is 82%;
- a RS-24 Yars launchers with intercontinental ballistic missiles entered combat duty;
- The aviation of the strategic nuclear forces received: one Tu-160 supersonic bomber and 4 Tu-95ms strategic bombers;
- A successful launch of 4 Bulava ballistic missiles in salvo by the SSBN Yuri Dolgoruky;
- A Successful launch of 12 air-launched Kh-101 cruise missiles by a Tu-160 strategic bomber;
- Kinzhal high-precision hypersonic air missile complex entered test-combat duty;
- Peresvet laser complexes entered test-combat duty;
- Sarmat strategic complex successfully passed drop test;
In terms of ground Forces:
- More than 2,200 new and upgraded armaments were delivered;
- 10 units and military bases formed;
In terms of Aerospace Forces:
- 126 modern aircraft and helicopters were delivered;
- 9 spacecraft;
- 120 vehicles;
In terms of Navy:
- 14 ships and gunboats were delivered;
- 11 support vessels;
- 4 Bastion and Bal coastal missile systems;
In terms of airborne troops:
- More than 300 pieces of advanced armaments, military and special equipment;
- 11 sets for parachuting personnel, weapons and cargoes;
On the Arctic, the Russian Armed Forces achieved the following in 2018:
- Finalized the construction of 20 buildings at the Severomorsk-1 airport;
- The reconstruction of the airport on Kotelny island is continuing;
- Construction of 59 buildings and facilities of a military town on Alexanda Land is close to being finalized;
- The construction of a military camp for the Northern Fleet’s air defense units in the village of Tiksi has begun;
- Since 2015 units of the environmental forces cleared 104,000 square kilometers;
- More than 18,500 tons of scrap was collected;
- More than 15,500 tons of scrap metal was exported;
Regarding plans for 2019, the Russian Armed Forces have the following goals:
- The deployment of 31 launch complexes for the Avangard and Yars ICBMs to the Strategic Nuclear Forces;
- The delivery of 4 modernized Tu-95ms strategic bombers to the Aerospace forces;
- The Navy will upgrade the nuclear submarine cruiser “Knyaz Vladimir” with a Bulava ICBM;
- 719 armored vehicles, 1 OTRK Iskander-M brigade, 2 SAM S-300V4 and Buk-M3 are to be deployed;
- 2 regimental complexes of the S-400 Triumf anti-aircraft missile defense systems;
- 1 Vityaz anti-aircraft missile system;
- 7 battalion complexes of the Pantsir anti-aircraft missile system;
- 143 new and upgraded aircraft;
- 12 warships and gunboats;
- 2 submarines;
- 12 support vessels;
- 4 Bastion and Bal coastal missile systems;
- 18,500 trainings and exercises are planned to be organized in 2019.
MORE ON THE TOPIC: